Friday, July 6, 2012

Get off your lazy arse, Kirk Douglas!

Yesterday Dan and I watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.  It was one of my IMDb recommendations or something and it sounded interesting, so I decided to check it out.  It was Heath Ledger's last project before tragically dying from the Christian Bale Method of Acting.*  The fantasy multi-world telling of the story allowed three other actors to take over Ledger's role and finish the movie:  Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell.  These three actors donated their income from the movie to Ledger's daughter.  I think that's pretty cool.

No, I tip my hat to you, sir.

Enough small talk.  To the subject at hand: how lazy is Kirk Douglas?

The titular character Dr. Parnassus is played by Christopher Plummer, who everyone in the world knows as Captain von Trapp from The Sound of Music.

My dad had individual whistles for my sister and I too.

He's 83.  Check out his ridiculous IMDb page.  It's like he has to continue to work, if he stops, he'll die.

He's not the only octogenarian churning out movies and video games.  Here's Christopher Lee's page.

Jeff Bridges (left) and Christopher Lee (right) circa 1982

And Ian McKellan.

He does his own stunts, too.

Judi Dench is 78 and almost blind, and she's still going strong.

Being blind is the only way to resist James Bond

So, Kirk Douglas, what's your excuse?  You're only 96.  Maybe consider a The Bad and the Beautiful sequel?  I know you can handle it.

"I am Spartacus!"

Sean Connery, you have no excuse either.  You're Scottish.  Buck up and make some more movies.

Silly rant over.  Please enjoy this Paul McCartney video I've had stuck in my head for the last four days:



*This is one of my new pet theories.  Ledger started to show real acting chops in his last films.  Two of those films (The Dark Knight and I'm Not There) co-starred Christian Bale, who's pretty well known for getting crazy deep into his roles.  I think he shared some acting tips with Ledger and that method acting led to his death.  Conspiracy?  No.  Tragic possibility?  Yes.

2 comments:

  1. Acting skills improve with age, there's no doubt about it, look at Shirely Maclaine. Kirk Douglas recently appeared at some kind of event where he got kissed - poor fellow almost had a heart attack. I hope you're not the Sabrina I know, because if you are I'm very disappointed you started a new blog without telling me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be the Sabrina you know, because I've told EVERYONE I've ever met I have a blog they should be reading.

      Delete