Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Brief Interruption

My Dear Friend,

I have indeed returned from my brief sojourn to the New World, and found my family there thriving and the atmosphere most congenial.  Unfortunately, upon my return to the Orient, I seem to have contracted a most virulent case of influenza which has thus prevented me from my regular correspondence.  I believe I am fully to blame for contracting this illness, as I had the arrogance to wade into the foul air of a public school (children, as you know, are quite unhealthy to be around, especially in large groups).

The sickness consists of a congestion of the head and chest which no poultice or tablet seems to assuage, and a general heaviness and soreness of the limbs.  No consistent fever has been detected on my part, or the part of my erstwhile nurse and husband, and I do feel as if I am slowly recovering, although a brief trip yestereve to acquire rations for the week resulted in a my being unable to rise from my bed for almost a day!

More details about my holiday will be forth coming as soon as I have recovered sufficiently to order my thoughts and daguerreotypes from the trip.

Sincerely,
S


"Not wounded, sir, but dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment