Monday, December 24, 2012

Do I know it's Christmas time at all?

I am in a state of confusion.  My brain knows it's Christmas Eve.  I've looked at the calendar (which reminds me I need to buy a new one soon, the most ridiculous one I can find).  I see that it's December 24th.  But I still have to make dinner for Dan and myself.  I have to go get bread so he has sandwiches for the rest of the week.  There isn't a big meal to plan for and thus I can't just plan on eating leftover ham and mashed potatoes for the next week.  I don't have to make toffee for my dad or wrap any other presents.  There is a Santa at the mall, and the red and green National Day decorations are still up everywhere.  I have the ingredients to bake a million cookies, but I don't have anyone other than Dan to feed them to and he is disinclined to haul them to work everyday.  So I am confused.  I'm playing Christmas music, so I feel like I should be doing something other than playing games on my new iPad, but I don't need to.  It's Christmas, but not like usual. 

 

There's no rush or clutter or drama.  Tomorrow we're having dinner with some friends I like very much to mark the occasion.  I've already made a rum cake and bought the wine.  So the organizational part of my brain is looking forward to New Year's Eve.  We have reservations at aloft and tickets to their Glow Into 2013 party, to which we're supposed to wear white.  So I need to get something white, but it feels unnatural to go out shopping for New Year's Eve before it's even Christmas. No, I don't own any white clothes.  Black is more my style.

Because of exactly this

There's nothing wrong with a quiet Christmas, it's just unusual.  It doesn't upset me (OK, Dan, it's on the web, I'm not holiday depressed).  Not that my neighbors think I'm having a quiet Christmas; they've been hearing music playing every time they pass my door.

This album, naturally

Maybe I'll mix up a batch of toffee anyway.  It is Christmas Eve, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment