Monday, October 21, 2013

Are you in my head?

I've recently discovered the wonders of Pandora.

Pandora Radio.  It's an app for playing music, and they have basically EVERYTHING.  I run it mostly through Dan's SmartTV so I get the benefit of the surround sound (probably not to the benefit of the neighbors) and the remote control.  I usually put it on when I'm writing or cooking or any of the various activities I do that require some concentration.  Not crochet, that I do while watching old movies I've recorded.

Probably why I mess up so much

I would have a lot of stations, because I'm pretty impatient and just like to plug in the song I've got in my head at the moment, but then I start up Pandora and it's on my Dean Martin station playing something I want to listen to.  Also, sometimes you start a station from a particular song, and then they don't play that song!


Seriously, this app is almost like magic.  I do have a couple of bones to pick with it though.

First: Stop spying on me or whatever you do.  You were playing some Les Mis nonsense AGAIN and wouldn't let me fast-forward through it.  So I was singing "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" from My Fair Lady. 

Then, next song, BOOM, I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face.  Not cool.  Get out of my head, Pandora.  It freaks me out.


Second:  Your ads are terrible. I don't really mind ads in free stuff. They're here, they're lame, and they're all the same. Except the ones that are both louder and feature a song completely out of the range of music my channel plays.

Third:  This relates to a detail in the first bone, I do not want to hear any more Les Mis nonsense. I know it's popular, I know most people like it, but when I want a show tune I do not want something from a stupid operetta that's at least an hour longer than it needs to be with completely forgettable music. It goes completely against the old adage about musicals: "When you can no longer speak, sing. When you can no longer sing, dance." Les Mis just goes off the rails, says screw it, and sings the whole damn time, erradicating any emotional highs or lows usually punctuated in musicals by (surprise!) music.

Here is a very short list of popular musicals that I have not heard from on Pandora:
Show Boat



Kiss Me Kate


Calamity Jane
(Side note: Not enough Doris Day no matter how much I thumbs up the few songs you do play)
(Second Side note: This song won a freaking Oscar!)

Gentleman Prefer Blondes

 (c'mon, this had Marilyn Monroe in it!)

The King and I


Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
 Or as Dan likes to call it: Seven Brides with Seven Cases of Stockholm Syndrome.

Those are my bones, hopefully adequately picked.  Otherwise, Pandora: Please carry on.  I might even contemplate paying for the ad-free version, if the app on my TV is upgraded to allow me to add variety to a station.  Seriously, I shouldn't have to  log-on to Pandora on my phone just to tell Pandora I would like to hear Babs singing the standards along with Frankie, Sammy, and Dean-o.


A few notes on this particular post. One: I didn't watch all the videos all the way through, so I apologize for any quality or viewing problems. Two: I'm trying and only partially succeeding in changing from a double-space after a period to a single space. Blogger sometimes corrects this for me, so please forgive any strange spacing.

No comments:

Post a Comment