Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Deep in the Heart of Texas: Part 2

 The only thing I really wanted for my birthday was to see my new nephew.  Of course, I knew that seeing him came along with some great bonus prizes, like the other members of my family happily catering to my every whim.  Since my whim now is to recount the events of that birthday weekend, I shall do so, and you shall indulge me, readers, because I said so. 

The morning of my birthday began as usual:  with me waking up too early to care about anything going on because I wasn't used to the time difference (Abu Dhabi is 11 hours ahead of Houston).  Since it was my birthday, I promptly decided to go back to bed and take a nap instead of going to breakfast as previously planned.  Enter the sister guilt trip:  "Shane was really looking forward to breakfast, he'll be disappointed if we don't go." 

He's a big guy, you don't want to disappoint him.

So I was a good sport, put on a real shirt and a bra (but I didn't put on real pants, pajama bottoms are appropriate attire for IHOP), and went to IHOP.  Shane was not there, but Granny, Cathy, Helen, and Jim were!  All sitting at a large table complete with a high chair for the baby.  While I was still getting over the surprise and pleasure of seeing them out from behind a partition walks my dad!  I was so surprised, even though he had talked about coming out for the big day, because generally no one in our family can keep their mouths shut.

Technology helps. None of us really knows how to whisper.

I am unashamed to say that I have always been a daddy's girl and couldn't have been more pleased that he came to see me.

He did forget to bring me some See's chocolates, though.

A big family breakfast with hearty conversation, then on to the next important event:  Naptime.

Best Auntie Ever, 8 years running

Dinner was a typical Pudlewski gathering.  Through a devious method of sending a houseguest (who would not be invited to the party) into Kroger to buy the maximum amount of steak each time, my Granny procured enough T-bones for all and then some, along with the asparagus I requested, despite it's high cost.   We ate, we talked, we drank (a lot), we swam, we had cake.  My aunt and uncle drove in from Pearland for the night.  My one regret is that my sister made me leave at some point, but I suppose I can forgive her since I don't even recall what time it was, nor how many hard apple ciders I had imbibed.

On paper it might not sound very exciting, but it was exactly what I wanted.  I wouldn't change a thing.  And, because it was my birthday I was allowed to go on the big fishing trip with the boys, but that my children, is a tale for another time.

Now please to enjoy a gratuitous set of photos of me and my family:  







OK, not too gratuitous.  We don't take a lot of photos because we're having so much fun we just don't think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment