Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hot Pockets: You can't always get what you want

Last night I was craving a very distinct food, which I could not immediately identify. It was sweet, soft, a pastry perhaps. Definitely glazed, but not a doughnut. A touch of lemon maybe? I thought about it and thought about it, and yet, it didn't come to me. I'd been thinking about making gingerbread cookies, could it be that, maybe with cream cheese icing? Thinking about cream cheese icing led me to carrot cake. I had been spending time with a friend I introduced to carrot cake who is now hooked. I started planning to make a carrot cake, making a mental shopping list, wondering what recipe to use, but it still wasn't exactly what I wanted. It wasn't until I was drifting off to sleep that it struck me: what I had been craving wasn't anything I could make or buy here. It was a pre packaged cinnamon roll. That particular combination of preservatives, cold smooshy cake, and hard glaze, possibly with some raisins thrown in. Well, that is not something I'll be getting here. Heaven forbid you have a craving for Cool Ranch Doritos or Hershey Kisses (unless you feel like driving to Dubai). An Entemman's cinnamon roll isn't happening. So I made a rum cake. That will have to do for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment