Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Previously on Too Darn Hot...

Sabrina was saying goodbye to Abu Dhabi and returning to her life in Arizona where her house, dogs, and family were waiting.  Since then, Sabrina (known heretofore as "Calamity Sabrina") has gone through a lot of trials and tribulations to come to where we are now.  Those will be dealt with in future installments.  Today, Too Darn Hot presents a small humorous post.

I have really, ridiculously long hair.*  I almost always have.  It's thick, brown, shiny, and abundant.  And I like it that way.  Even though I keep it pulled back and up 95-99% of the time, I still love it.  Even though I started pulling out gray hairs in the past year, I still love it.  Sure, I may be boring, and won't be dying my hair purple (because dye won't stick to my slick, healthy strands), but I still love it.

My hair and the desert at sunrise

Despite that, I occasionally have crazy ideas about my hair.  Insane, impulsive ideas, that should be slapped out of my silly head before I go through with them. I dyed my hair black in high school.

Doesn't everyone?

However, I am surrounded by people who either love impulsive ideas (Hi Auntie Cathy!) or pretty much let me do whatever I like (Hi Husband!).  So last month when I had the brilliant idea to perm my hair, no one even questioned the idea. 

My little sister is a licensed cosmetologist, and I spent all of June in Houston, so when I had the brilliant idea to perm my hair, I had a professional on hand to make my hair dreams come true, and all it cost me was the supplies and some babysitting (Hi Shaeleb!).

As time in Houston slipped by, I still held on to the idea I wanted a curly perm.  I was reading The Troy Game series at the time, and all the strong female characters in those books have long, abundant hair that tumbles in loose curls to brush their waists.  I wanted that. 

Yes, I wanted cartoon Princess hair.

I didn't get that.  My hair likes change as much as I do, as in, not at all.  My sister labored for three hours in the middle of the night to perfectly roll my hair, using a piggy-back method.  I still don't know what that means or what she was doing.

Is it hair origami?

After all her hard work, my hair rebelled.  After the first wash I had some nice small loose curls.  After the second, I had some frizzy waves.  After the third, a matted mess at the base of my head, and after the fourth my hair is pretty much the same as it was before, although not as smooth.  Perms break the hair's structure.  My sister told me that and it still didn't scare me enough to change my mind. 

Oh well.  Enough deep conditioning and a couple more months, I won't be able to see the difference.  You won't be able to see the difference now.

*Not as long as my cousin Elizabeth, but mine is totally thicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment