Thursday, July 25, 2013

Why You Should Watch "Gaslight" Right Now


The term "gaslighting" has become popular on the internet recently, especially among blogs that discuss feminism and/or issues of sexual harassment in places such as ComicCon or the military, or even the different experiences people have on message boards like Reddit if you identify as male or female. 

I don't understand how it works, but I do recognize this little guy.

Now, I'm not going to go into a discussion of feminism right now.  It's a very complex issue, and I got my fill of useless debating on Facebook today while talking about the Zimmerman verdict.  (FYI: I am a feminist and while I think the Zimmerman verdict was correct per the law as written, it's fucked up that you can kill someone and get away with it if you say you feel threatened).

No, what I'd like to talk about are the reasons you should watch the movie from which the term derives: Gaslight.

First: It's one of the best black and white films out there.  I hear quite often, "I don't like black and white movies." This seems close-minded.  Perhaps their only exposure to black and white films has been Citizen Cane, a much overrated film which was ground-breaking at the time, but is now out-dated.

Do these people fast-forward through "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"?!?

Despite it's lack of Technicolor, Gaslight is a gorgeous film.  Because of it's popularity it's been remastered and the sound and visuals are crystal clear.  This is a movie that needs to be in black and white.  It adds to the dark feel of the movie and emphasizes the brilliant lighting.

And color would add nothing to Charles Boyer's voice.

He was the inspiration for Pepe Le Pew

Second: Ingrid Bergman is beautiful.  Just take your breath away beautiful.

And that figure ain't bad either

And that's the least of her amazing qualities.  As the tormented wife her emotional turmoil is written on her face. Dialogue almost seems secondary.  That's probably why it worked as a silent film as well.

Third:  Angela Landsbury makes her debut in this movie.  Can you even believe that? 
You saucy minx, Jessica Fletcher!

She was 17 at the time, and her saucy housemaid character would be a show-stealer in a movie with a weaker cast.  There is not a weak link in the cast at all.
That's probably the take-away point for #3

Fourth: People are talking about gaslighting.  You want to be in the know, right?

Fifth:  I said so, and I'm pretty knowledgeable about these things.  I have subjected my husband to many classic movies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, and this is one he doesn't complain about. 

This he complains about, but probably because I've watched about 200 times.

If this isn't convincing, well, you're probably hopeless.  If you're going to give it a chance, it's playing on TCM on October 16 at 7:30am EST (DVR it, I'll remind you), or you can probably get it off the internet somewhere.  I won't tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment