Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It's a Trap! A customer service story.

Municipal services here are a monopoly.  The Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Company's (ADWEC) motto is "Single Buyer and Seller of Water and Electricity."  I don't even know why they have a website with information on it; it should just be a site full of cat photos.  That would be more useful.

Official Spokesperson for your electric company

Telephone, internet, and cable TV services all come from etisalat.

The lower case 'e' is not a typo

Many people here complain about how slow and bad their service is, but I really have no complaints.  My telephone works alright (international calls are sometimes static-y, but that's par for the course), my new eLife internet connection is 7 times faster than it was before, and I have Turner Classic Movies to watch all day long. 

OK, I lied, I have a complaint:  I think they're messing with your mind.



I've had to call etisalat a total of three times, twice because of internet problems and  once (today), because my cable was giving me an error message.  Now that I have TCM back, it's tragic when I don't have it on all day long so Deborah Kerr, Stewart Granger, and Bette Davis can keep me company all day.  


I only keep the classiest of company

I call and they ask for a piece of identifying information that I will never remember: my home telephone number.  I look it up, pass it on, and they say "How can I help you, Mrs. Stanley." The company owns the apartment so all the bills are under the name Stanley Consultants, so to them, I'm Mrs. Stanley.

I don't really care who you are, I just want you off the phone

Me:  My eLife television is showing an error message.
etisalat:  Have you turned the box off and back on?
Me:  Yes, several times.
etisalat:  Tell me which lights are on your eLife box.
Me:  Blah blah, all the normal ones <paraphrase
etisalat:  Please, ma'am, turn the box off and then on again.
Me to myself: I DID THAT 20 TIMES ALREADY!!!
Me:  OK
<turn box off and then on again thinking "This isn't going to work."  It works.>
Me:  It's working.
etisalat: Anything else I can help you with today ma'am?
Me: No. 
<Slam down phone>


Turns out, you shouldn't slam down a cell phone

This conversation is pretty typical of the ones I've always had, and I have a theory about why it works after you call.   See, I think while the service rep is asking you to  do something stupid (tell me which lights are on, turn it off and on again), they are actually doing something on their end that they don't tell you about.  It's a plot to get more satisfactory calls or something.  I don't know, but I find it highly suspicious that when I turn it on and off nothing happens, but when I do while I'm on the line with customer service it works.  It makes me look bad.

So that's my complaint/conspiracy theory regarding customer service at etisalat.  For what it's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment