Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Heritage Village

Why have I not been here before?!?!?!?!


Traditional Arabic poses: Girls on the right, boys on the left

It's like a mini, Middle East Ren-fair with cheap goodies all around.  Oh, and you learn stuff too.


This is a well

Oh, and I met my new camel friend, just chillin' there.  No one watching.  He's pretty cool.  We have a lot in common: we both like to sleep during the hot afternoons and make angry noises when people disturb us.


Ignore my Incredible Hulk arm.  Or don't.  Either way, Camel and I will crush you!

There are booths set up to show leather crafting.  The craftsman was making purses from exotic animal skins.  He was getting ready to make one out of Egyptian cheetah skin that I would rock like a Herman Cain if I had 400 dirham to spare.


My skin will endow you with super speed.  Trust me, I'm a cheetah.

There was glass blowing (no one was doing it at the time) but I did buy a camel perfume bottle and the man at the silk weaving booth made me a bracelet in the UAE colors and tied it around my wrist.


This camel was made for Mambo No. 5...or is it Chanel No. 5? Who can remember

There was also the requisite cheap tourist crap area which I will one day plunder like a drunken pirate. 

Doesn't everyone need a magnetic bottle opener shaped like a camel?

Anyway, it was awesome, free to get in, and <spoiler alert> my new go to place for souvenirs. 

Which I will obviously weave myself ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment