Sunday, January 29, 2012

Do I look like a chump to you?

Apparently I do.
Just kinda wanted to show off my nails again
Yesterday evening, while standing on the sidewalk with a group of friends waiting for a table at a Chinese restaurant, a short Muslim lady in a niqab (veil that only bares they eyes) walked out of a tailor shop, strolled up to me, and asked me for money.  She said her husband had a medical problem, and kept repeating "5 dirhams only."

I am so poor
Well, I said no.  If your husband really has a problem, it seems to be that the sleeves of his shirts are too long and not that he needs a surgery.  Now, I do give money to panhandlers.  I'll give my doggie bag to a man on the street or put my spare change into someone's hat.  But if you come up to me, and brazenly ask me for cash (not very modest for a woman who covers everything but her eyes in the name of God and honor!), you're not getting anything.  She just stood there, uncomfortably close, for several minutes.  I ignored her, but the two gentlemen I was with opened their wallets and gave her money.  Which probably increases the chances that the next time I'm standing around, I'll get asked for cash again.  There are people who need help.  Then there are obvious scammers who think you (me!) are an easy target because you're western.  If you are reading this, scammer (and you might be, you probably have a computer), leave me alone.  You make it harder for people who really need help to get it.

Now that I think about it, I should have told her I'd give her 5 dirhams if she let me take her photo.  I've had such trouble getting a good shot of how women dress around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment