Saturday, January 14, 2012

Friday Trip to Dubai



For Dan's birthday, we decided to make a pilgrimage to that decadent western import: Red Lobster.  Crab legs are a favorite food of both Dan and myself, and the temptation to have a special birthday dinner was just too great, so off we went at the bright early hour of 1pm.  The biggest excitement of the day: I drove!


I haven't been behind the wheel of a car in over a year, except that one time I went to Carrefour (French Wal-Mart) while Dan played soccer.  It was a two minute drive across the street, and Dan was still a little worried.  But this drive (and my trip to C4) was without event.

The Dubai Mall was as the usual: huge and terrible.  It's a tourist trap.  You can't really shop there because prices seem to be at least 10% higher than anywhere else.

 But they have this amazing fountain where Ken dolls dive into infinity, so I'm sure the price is worth it

We stopped at the sports stores to try and find me a good pair of work out shoes (the Nike Pegasus I bought in Jersey are perfect for walking, but not so great for the high intensity of my workout obsession).  The only shoes that even began to reach our price range were those ridiculous trainers that are meant to work your calves and buttocks.

If I wanted to walk funny, I'd just head to Africa and get polio.

Aside from the horrifying experience of shopping at such a huge and pointless cathedral to capitalism, Red Lobster was great.  The food was just as expected and REALLY fast.  I don't think I could have gotten a Whopper My Way as fast as those crab legs arrived, and boy did we enjoy them.



Next up was a trip to a craft store I'd heard wonderful things about.  Another let down (too much for a girl already suffering from PMS).  None of the crochet needles I needed to make a slew of Sun Devil themed coasters, and not a great selection of yarn.  I guess when I start work on a baby blanket for my new nephew I'll have to seek elsewhere.

 Of course, I have everything you need...

Overall, it was good to get out of the house for the day, drive a car, and get some crab legs.  I meant to add a little bit of last Friday's excursion to the RIPE Farmer's Market, but I just don't feel like it, and we might perhaps end up there next weekend (there's a cute little Mexican Muslim woman who sells homemade salsa and tortillas we need to visit again).  Here's a photo preview:

1 comment:

  1. Hey.. Dan belated happy birthday and thanks for sharing your birthday treat
    experience
    with us.God give you more joy in your life, stay happy.

    ReplyDelete