Thursday, January 12, 2012

Speaking English

This post was originally a Note on my Facebook page, but I'm putting it here because that's just what I'm doing now.


When I say I live in Abu Dhabi, people ask me what language they speak here.  The answer is English.  I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't speak English to some degree or another.  Well what about Arabic, hypothetical person reading this might ask.  Sure, I could learn Arabic, and then have so little chance to use it I'd probably forget it.  So I speak English and don't think twice about it, until now.

A couple of days ago I was in the gym, looking particularly fetching in Dan's Big Willie Style basketball shorts and a shirt with a map of the USA made out of animals on it.  I was alone in the work out room, and JT and I were bringing sexy back (translation: Justin Timberlake was on the radio and I was singing out loud).  I'd been huffing and puffing on the eliptical for about half an hour, and suddenly an Arab man comes up next to me and asks if he can change the TV.  Being the considerate person I am, I of course reply "Knock yourself out" at which point the gentleman in question turned and started walking away, leading to my hurriedly yelling "That means Yes!" at his back, before he left thinking how rude Americans are.

Is there are moral to this story? Probably.  Mostly I'm sharing because I thought it was amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment